Devicebook Smart HomeLearn about the wide variety of Smart Home Features offered by Devicebook.
Devicebook for ContractorsAre you a Devicebook Smart Home Contractor? Start here.
Using a Devicebook Smart HomeHow to use the Devicebook App to control and customize a Devicebook Smart Home. For homeowners and contractors.
Installing & Setting Up a Devicebook Smart HomeAbout installation and setup of a Devicebook Smart Home.
Devicebook HubLearn about the Devicebook Hub.
Smart Home Design GuideLearn how to design a Devicebook Smart home, from using the Designer to choosing devices.
Devicebook for Contractors is a professional tool for designing and installing custom smart homes.
Your customers will be able to control their entire smart home using the Devicebook App for iOS or Android.
The Devicebook for Contractors web app allows you to choose the smart home solutions you want to offer to clients, create unique smart home designs for each of your customers, and generate a custom Home Controller for each client's home.
The following terms are used throughout the Devicebook for Contractors app, and in this Knowledge Base.Smart Home Solution
A Devicebook smart home solution is a package of smart home features which can be added to a smart home, such as Lighting, Heating & Cooling, or Security. You can see the full list of Devicebook Smart Home Solutions at www.devicebook.com.Device
Various smart home devices are installed throughout each Devicebook Smart Home in order to enable smart home features. For example, motion sensors installed in a room can detect when it's occupied, and a smart dimmer switch in the room allows Devicebook to turn on the lights automatically.
Devicebook supports a growing number of devices from a variety of smart home brands. All available devices are listed in the Devicebook Showroom in Devicebook for Contractors.Smart Home Design
A design is a blueprint of the exact features and devices for a particular smart home. You create smart home designs in Devicebook for Contractors, and when you're ready, Devicebook will generate a custom Home Controller based on the design.Home Controller
A Home Controller is a personalized smart home app that's also the brain of a Devicebook Smart Home. There is always one Home Controller per Devicebook Smart Home. Home Controllers have a custom easy-to-use interface accessible via the Devicebook App for iOS or Android.
You can learn more about the features of a Home Controller here.
Before You Start
Make sure that your smart home contracting business is already set up in Devicebook for Contractors by following the steps in the previous article: Get Started with Devicebook for Contractors.
A job to install a new smart home for a client involves the following steps.
1. Design: Collect requirements from your client & create a design for their new smart home.Meet with your client. Gather their requirements: what features do they want, and where? Which device models do they want to use to implement these features?Once you've collected requirements, you can create a full smart home design in Devicebook for Contractors. The Job Walkthrough video below goes into detail about how to create a design.
2. Generate the Home ControllerOnce you have a design that your customer has approved, you can generate the Home Controller with the click of a button.Screenshot of the Generate Home Controller Step in a Smart Home JobDevicebook will take your smart home design, and automatically turn it into a unique smart home app called a Home Controller, which will be the brain of your client's new smart home. Once generated, the Home Controller is accessible from the Devicebook App for iOS or Android.
3. Install & Set Up smart home devicesMeet with the client again for an installation and setup appointment. You'll install all the required devices around the client's home, as per your design. You'll also install the Devicebook Hub.Then, you'll use House Check, a tool in the Home Controller, to link the Devicebook Hub and each device to the Home Controller.Once all devices are set up, the smart home is ready for the client to use.
4. Transfer Home Controller to ClientWhen you're ready, you can transfer control of the smart home to your client. They'll be invited to download the Devicebook app for iOS or Android, create an account, and then take over their smart home!
Job Walkthrough - Video
This video goes over an entire smart home Job, from requirements to transfer of the smart home to the client.
Get Your Smart Home
If you don't yet have a Devicebook Smart Home, or you don't yet have the Devicebook App, read the expandable section below.
Get Your Smart Home
Get the Devicebook App
If you haven't already, get the Devicebook App for Android or iOS.
Smart Home Design & Set Up
Your Devicebook Smart Home will be designed, installed, and tested by a contractor you choose. If you are not yet working with a Devicebook Smart Home Contractor, you can find one here.
When the contractor is done installing and testing your smart home, it'll be time for you to create your Devicebook Account and take control of it.
When your smart home contractor transfers your new Devicebook Smart Home to you, you'll receive an email with a link to sign up for Devicebook. Tap that link in your email to choose a password for your Devicebook Account.
Take Control of your Smart Home
After you create your account using the link in your email from your contractor, you'll be prompted to take over your new Devicebook Smart Home. Accept the request, and you'll be in control.
Know Your Smart Home
The Home Status Widget lets you see and control the current occupancy status of your home.
You can also notify your hand-picked responders that you need emergency assistance for any reason with the emergency SOS Button.
Learn about emergency responders here: About Responders
Changing Home Status
When you change your home status, Routines (smart home automations) may be triggered.
Smart Home Solutions
This section shows you all of the smart home solutions installed in your home. Tap on any of the buttons to control, monitor, and configure that solution.
Routines are custom automations for your Devicebook Smart Home. This link lets you view all routines, and set up new ones. Learn more about Routines here.
This shows your Alexa link status. Use the Link Account button to link your Smart Home to Alexa.
House Check is your tool for monitoring the health of your Smart Home and setting up devices.
This button takes you to the notification settings page, which lets you manage all notifications you get from your smart home.
Share Your Smart Home with your Household
Your Smart Home is controlled only by the account that was used to sign up for Devicebook. Share the credentials for that account with other members of your household.
Amcrest Video Doorbell is a device that will be set up to communicate via the Devicebook Hub's secure Wi-Fi LAN. However, Devicebook cannot automatically configure the device to communicate with your Hub's Wi-Fi LAN. Instead, you should follow the instructions below to use the Manufacturer's app to set up the device.
Install the Amcrest Video Doorbell
1. Follow the manufacturer's instructions to install and wire the device.
2. Be sure to install the accompanying chime kit following the manufacturer's instructions. We'll walk you through setting it up below.
3. Make sure the transformer powering the Amcrest Video Doorbell and chime is 16V 30VAC.
4. Ensure the chime kit is installed before powering on the circuit.
Disable The Devicebook Hub's Firewall
The Devicebook Hub has a firewall that prevents Wi-Fi or Ethernet devices from communicating with the internet, for security purposes. You will need to turn off the firewall during the setup of the Amcrest Video Doorbell.
1. In the Devicebook App, disable the Hub's firewall. (House Check > Hub > Firewall Status > Turn Off.)
2. In the Devicebook App, navigate to House Check.
3. Tap on the > arrow on the Hub's tile.
4. Find "Firewall Status" and tap "Turn Off".
Gather Wi-Fi credentials
1. In the Devicebook App, in the hub's detail page, note down the Wi-Fi SSID and Password listed.
Set up the device using the Amcrest Smart Home App
Connect the Device to the Hub's Wi-Fi network
1. Get the Amcrest Smart Home App for iOS or Android
2. Create an account or sign in to the Amcrest Smart Home App.
3. Follow the instructions to set up a device in the Amcrest Smart Home App.
4. When the Amcrest Smart Home App asks you to set a device password, note down the password somewhere. You will need it soon.
5. Follow the instructions to connect the device to the Devicebook Hub's Wi-Fi LAN. Use the Hub's Wi-FI SSID and password you noted down above.
6. Once the device has successfully connected to the Devicebook Hub's Wi-Fi network, press NEXT in the Amcrest Smart Home App. sdasd
Make sure the device has the correct firmware.
7. If the Amcrest App asks you to upgrade the device's firmware, do NOT do so. You must use a specific version of the Amcrest Video Doorbell firmware, which you can install with the following steps.
8. Download the Amcrest firmware update tool here: Amcrest_ConfigTool_Eng_V3.20.10.T.180715.exe
9. Download the required firmware here: Amcrest_DB-LEXUS_Eng_N_16M_V1.000.00AC008.0.R.20210422.bin
10. Update the firmware of the Amcrest video doorbell to 1.000.00AC008.0.R,build:2021-04-22:How to Update Amcrest Video Doorbell Firmware
1. Install the Amcrest_ConfigTool_Eng_V3.20.10.T.180715.exe software on a computer.
2. Using the machine that has the firmware update tool installed, join the Devicebook Hub's WiFi network using the credentials from the 'Gather Wi-Fi Credentials' step.
3. Run the Config tool and modify the login credentials to match those of the Amcrest Video Doorbell (username: admin, password: <your password from step #4>).
4. Click on Refresh to locate the Amcrest Video Doorbell with the model number AD110.
5. In the Operate tab, click on the gear icon and navigate to the Upgrade tab.
6. Click on Open File and select the firmware file Amcrest_DB-LEXUS_Eng_N_16M_V1.000.00AC008.0.R.20210422.bin.
7. Click on Upgrade to begin updating the firmware of the AD110.
8. When the firmware update completes, you are are ready to move on to the next step.
Set up the Amcrest Chime Kit
11. Make sure you've installed the Amcrest Chime Kit according to the manufacturer's instructions that came packaged.
12. In the Amcrest App, in the Gear icon menu for this device, tap "Amcrest Chimes".
13. "Tap Link Digital/Mechanical Chime".
14. Select "Mechanical Chime" and then save. (Depending on the chime, you may need to select Digital Chime)
Link the Device to Devicebook using the Devicebook App
15. Switch back to the Devicebook App.
13. In the Devicebook App, navigate to House Check, and find the Amcrest Video Doorbell.
14. Tap "Set Up" for the Amcrest Video Doorbell.
15. Devicebook will ask you to enter a password. Enter the password you chose for this device in the Amcrest App in step 4, and press NEXT.
16. Follow the remaining instructions in the Devicebook App to complete device setup.